May 11, 2011
The 52nd Annual Convention of the Rabbinical Council of America will be held from Sunday, May 15th to Tuesday, May 17th at Congregation Ahavath Torah in Englewood, NJ. It will focus on critical issues facing the Orthodox rabbinate and the Jewish Community in North America, Israel, and across the globe.
Presentations will include:
- Responding to some of the many challenges facing rabbis as they lead the modern Orthodox Jewish family and community, including Internet and social networking technologies, addiction, divorce, abuse, religious differences within families, children with special needs, homosexuality, and more.
- Fostering spiritual growth among men, women, and children in the Orthodox Jewish world.
- Halachic presentations on synagogue security on Shabbat and holidays.
Presentation of special achievement awards to Rabbis Jonathan Rosenblatt, Nosson Sachs, and Tsvi Schur.
- Strengthening the individual rabbi, and the rabbinate as a whole.
- Future directions for the RCA.
Additionally, at 8:00 PM on Monday evening, May 16th, the public and press are invited to an open forum featuring Rabbi Shmuel Goldin (incoming RCA President), Rabbi Basil Herring (RCA Executive Vice-President), President Richard Joel of Yeshiva University; and Rabbi Steven Weil, (Executive Vice-President of the Orthodox Union). It will be moderated by Rabbi Gil Student
. The Forum topic will be Modern Orthodoxy Faces the 21st Century and will address some of the following issues:
- Changing media and the Jewish world.
- Distrust of Jewish communal institutions.
- The "Odyssey Years" and dealing with Orthodox singles in their 20s-30s.
- Future roles for women in Orthodox institutional life.
- Defining Modern Orthodoxy.
- Goals of Jewish education, and the cost of Jewish living.
- Left/right split in Orthodoxy?
- Right-wing politics and the Orthodox community - and more.
After the public forum concludes, members of the press are invited to a press conference to be attended by RCA leaders.
For more information please contact:
Convention chairman, Rabbi Howard Zack, 614 937 2990
Incoming RCA president, Rabbi Shmuel Goldin, 201 414 1917
RCA Executive Vice-President, Rabbi Basil Herring, 646 808 4614